Poco F1 is an amazing phone, that is also dubbed as simply the best gaming phone given its price — and the fact that it gives you the fastest processor in Snapdragon 845 (that powers the Galaxy S9, the Galaxy Note 9 and will even power the Pixel 3). No wonder, this phone already gained everyone’s attention, and if you have brought it, you might be looking to install TWRP Recovery on POCO F1 and root it.
Using TWRP, you can unlock the full potential of your device. You can try out any custom ROM on your device. We are sure that this device will get official LineageOS support soon. Do you think we should explain why to root?
If you are looking for stuff like Xposed module, custom Mods, substratum, etc. to customize you Poco F1, you must have root access. Even some Apps from Play store like Titanium Backup need root access to backup your Apps and remove system bloatware.
But the most important part before starting this tutorial is unlocking the bootloader. Xiaomi Poco F1 comes with a locked bootloader. Therefore, you must unlock it before starting the tutorial. After that, you can install TWRP with which you need to flash Magisk 17.1 package to gain root access. Our choice of root tool will always be Magisk due to its systemless approach, reliability and extended support.
This guide is specific to Xiaomi Poco F1. Please do not experiment this with any other Xiaomi’s device. Otherwise, your device may get bricked permanently. No one wants that, right?
Do not try anything given on this page if you do not know completely what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
- TWRP Recovery: twrp-188.8.131.52-beryllium-20180831.img
- Force encryption disabler: DisableForceEncryption_Treble.zip
- Make sure your phone has at least 80 – 85% charge. If not, please do charge it before starting the experiment.
- You need to enable USB Debugging mode to connect your Android phone to computer. (Settings > About Phone > Build number > Tap it 7 times to become developer; Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging).
- Your bootloader must be unlocked from before to root Poco F1. If not, please do that first, then get back to our tutorial.
- You must install Android SDK tool on your computer.
- Also, enable OEM Unlocking in Developer Options which may need while flashing an image file.
- Install Xiaomi Poco F1 driver on your computer.
How to install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Poco F1
- Download all the required files from the above-given links to your device. Also, keep a copy of the TWRP image file on your computer.
- Connect your phone to the computer using compatible USB cable (preferably, the official one, provided by Xiaomi with the phone box).
- Open Command Prompt on the same directory as TWRP file. Press the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space. Select “Open PowerShell window here” or “Open command window here” from the pop-up menu.
- On the PowerShell Window, type the following command and HIT enter:
adb reboot bootloader
(This will reboot the device into fastboot/bootloader mode.)
└ If you get a permission pop-up on your device to Ällow USB debugging”, tap OK.
- Once you are in the fastboot mode, type the following command and HIT enter:
fastboot flash twrp-184.108.40.206-beryllium-20180831.img
(The command ends with the file name. If the file name changes in a newer version, type “fastboot flash <your-changed-name-here.img”)
- Once the file is flashed, reboot your device! Carefully hold the Volume Up button now. While holding, type the following command and HIT enter to reboot into TWRP recovery.
- TWRP Recovery: In order to reboot into recovery mode, use Volume rockers to select “Recovery mode” option and press Power button to select. You will get access to TWRP.
- You will be asked to enter your device Password/PIN/Pattern. Enter it to let system decrypt in recovery mode. If you don’t have any password, it won’t ask.
- Now, go back to main menu (TWRP Home) and tap on “Install” button. From the list, choose the Force encryption disabler ZIP file that you have copied in Step 1. This step will prevent your device from boot-looping.
So, you are done here! No further steps are required for TWRP image file. Now if you want to root your POCO F1 then click here.