Hey Xiaomi users, today i will guide you on how to install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Y2. Once you finish the installation, you can root your phone using TWRP recovery.
Xiaomi launched the latest selfie-focused budget Android smartphone calling Xiaomi Redmi Y2. The device was first launched in China with the name Redmi S2. The smartphone features a 5.99-inch IPS display with 18:9 aspect ratio screen of 720 x 1440 HD+ resolution. It is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 processor, paired with either 3GB of RAM and 32GB storage or 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage. The Redmi Y2 boasts an impressive 12MP + 5MP dual-camera setup on the back with PDAF for fast focusing speeds and electronic image stabilization (EIS) to help capture steady videos. On the front, the device sports 16MP selfie camera which is powered by AI. Under the hood, the device runs on Android 8.1 Oreo with MIUI 10 software.
Advantages of TWRP Recovery
- You can flash Custom ROM on Xiaomi Redmi Y2 using TWRP
- You can flash modding zip files to customize your phone
- Easy to flash and use Xposed Modules using TWRP
- Easy to Root and Unroot using TWRP Recovery flashable zip SuperSU
- You can install Magisk on Xiaomi Redmi Y2
- You can always take FULL NANDROID Backup in case of any modding or flashing.
- Easy access to restore the Nandroid Backup.
- You can flash the image file using TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Y2.
- Easy to remove all bloatware using TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Y2.
- To underclock and overclock.
- You can clean Wipe, Cache, and Data.
Now, there are lot of advantages of rooting or installing twrp recovery on it. It allows you to uninstall the unnecessary systems apps, You can optimize the performance of the phone by using Xposed Modules. By using TWRP Recovery you can flash Custom ROMs, Kernels, Mods. Also, the custom recovery is much helpful in creating full backup of the device. Lets check how you can Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Y2.
- This Guide is only for Xiaomi Redmi Y2
- You need to Unlock Bootloader on Xiaomi Redmi Y2.
- You need either Laptop or PC.
- Charge your phone to at least 70%.
- Back up your device just in case if things not go well
- Download Minimal ADB Tool & Install latest Xiaomi USB Drivers on your PC.
- Download TWRP Recovery for Flashing.
- Enable USB Debugging & OEM Unlocking – Goto Settings > Additional settings > Developer options > USB Debugging – Enable (If you have not activated Developer options, then Go to Settings > About phone > tap MIUI version 7 times > You are now a developer).
If you have done all this above mentioned then we are ready to proceed on installing TWRP Recovery.
We still don’t recommend installing this TWRP as its not the official TWRP for Redmi Y2, you can wait until official TWRP comes.
Before doing this, I just want to warn you that, you will loose your warranty and if something goes wrong it can brick your device. But, that won’t happen though you follow our step by step guide carefully.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Y2
Step 1: First Install ADB and USB Drivers on your PC.
Step 2: Now copy the downloaded TWRP file to C:\adb.
Step 3: In the same folder, hold the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space.
Step 4: Select “Open PowerShell window here”. If its Command Prompt then click on it.
Step 5: Boot your Redmi Y2 in Fastboot Mode (power off your phone and then keep holding the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously).
Step 6: Connect your phone to PC through USB.
Step 7: Enter the following command to ensure that your device is being properly detected. It will return ID with fastboot message.
Step 8: Finally, install TWRP recovery on Redmi Y2 using the command below:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.1-0-ysl.img
Here, twrp-3.2.1-0-ysl.img is the name of the file. Make sure the name matches the file which you have downloaded.
Step 9: Once complete, you can reboot your phone into the OS.
That’s all. Now TWRP has been installed on your device. Now you can root your device or do whatever you want using TWRP Recovery. If you still didn’t get how to install TWRP Recovery then watch the video below.