You might have noticed that on the Redmi and Xiaomi phones you download certain apps that you don’t even use. The culprit behind the ads is MSA or MIUI System Ads, a system application designed to force ads into the UI and cannot be uninstalled. If you are wondering how to stop promoted apps in Redmi and Xiaomi phones then follow the outlined steps:
Turn off promoted apps in MIUI systems
If you have organized your applications into folders for simplicity, you are well aware of the app promotions that different versions of MIUI prompt.
Steps to disable:
- Open the application folder.
- Long press the name of the application folder name.
- A window will pop for you to change the application name along with a toggle switch to disable the promoted apps.
- Turn off that toggle switch.
Remove system ads from MIUI
- Open the ‘Settings’ app.
- Swipe down to ‘Passwords & security’ and select ‘Authorisation & revocation’.
- Click on the toggle of ‘msa’ to disable it.
A prompt window will appear with a backward countdown. Wait for it to finish and press on ‘Revoke’.
- Now click on the toggle of ‘GetApps’ to disable it the same way you disabled ‘msa.’
- Now click on ‘Privacy’ under ‘Passwords & security’.
- Disable the toggle switches for ‘User Experience Programme’ and ‘Send diagnostic data automatically’.
- Locate ‘Ad services’ and click on it.
- Turn off ‘Personalised ad recommendations.’
Remove ads from Mi Browser
- Open the browser and click on the hamburger button at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Click on ‘Settings’ and disable ‘Content feed’.
- Swipe down to ‘Advanced’ and disable ‘Show ads’.Click on ‘Set start page’ and change it to ‘Custom’.
- Now type “google.com” and click on ‘OK’. This will set Google as the default page and remove the ads appearing on the browser main-screen.
- Go back and click on ‘Privacy and Security’ and disable ‘Personalised services’.
Remove ads from Mi Security app
- Open the Security app and tap the ‘Settings’ icon on the top right corner of the screen.
- Tap on ‘Cleaner’ and disable ‘Receive recommendations’.
- Go back and disable ‘Receive recommendations’.
- Click on ‘Data usage’ and disable ‘Report data usage info’.
Remove ads from Mi Downloads app
- Open the Downloads app and click on the navigation button on the top right corner.
- Tap on ‘Settings’ and disable ‘Show recommended content’.
Remove ads from Mi Music app
- Open the Music app and tap the hamburger icon in the top left corner.
- Tap on ‘Settings’ and select ‘Advanced settings’.
- Scroll down and disable ‘Receive recommendations’ and all the other toggle switches below it.
Remove ads from the Mi Video app
- Open the Mi video app and tap the ‘Profile’ option at the bottom right corner.
- Tap ‘Settings’ and disable ‘Online recommendations’ and ‘Push notifications’.